[REPU] Board Post Reply: Sloppy steering

From: Daemon user for apache (wwwrun@rotor.mazzella.org)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 09:53:10 PST

A New Post has Been made to the thread [Sloppy steering]
User From: nwaco

Jeff,

I have the 1975 Mazda workshop manual, and on page 10:3, it is stated that if the "ball nut does not travel freely on the worm shaft" then both should be "replaced'.

There are some "bearing preload" shims that may be used for some adjustment, and some "sector shaft adjusting screw shims" as well.

So it looks like there are a few adjustments, but I think the most likely culprit is the gear and worm shaft just get worn over the years from the manual torque of turning while going slow or stationary. My guess is the gear and worm are peened to the point that there is too much play. Wide tires only add to the problem.

This topic tells me to remove and keep the steering gears to all the extra trucks I have...just in case.

Go Here to Reply: http://www.mazdarepu.com/board/viewthread.php3?FID=8&TID=338