[REPU] Board Post Reply: how to upgrade to 2nd gen alternator?

From: Daemon user for apache (wwwrun@rotor.mazzella.org)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 11:09:39 PST

A New Post has Been made to the thread [how to upgrade to 2nd gen alternator?]
User From: Jeff20B
The Reply was:

I installed a 1st gen 50 amp alt a few years ago in my REPU. Then just recently I installed a 2nd gen 55 amp alt. I went back to the 50 amp a couple months ago so the smaller 55 amp alt could be used in a rotary project car.

There is a T shaped connector on the back of the alts from around '81 to '88. The later higher amp units had a different style, but they're still easy to hook up if you know which wire goes where (I don't know off the top of my head). There is a diagram floating around the net which shows you the differences. Maybe somebody else will know. Anyway, I was lucky that both my alts are so close to 50 amps that I didn't need to mess with the fuse (It's just a strip of lead of appropriate thickness). I don't plan on running aircraft landing lights or a high power amp anytime soon, so I think I'll be ok.

Here is a pic of where my voltage regulator used to be. I jumpered the wires that used to go to the reg (seen in the green circle). This allowed me to keep using the stock wires and all I had to do was splice in a T shaped connector where the 4 way one used to be. The T shaped connector consists of one wire which goes to the 'G' dash light. The other goes to the key (on) switch. The fat battery wire remains unchanged.
By the way, if you're curious, the thing sitting where the voltage reg used to be is my ignitor heat sink.

  Log into http://http://www.mazdarepu.com/board
Go Here to Reply: http://www.mazdarepu.com/board/viewthread.php3?FID=1&TID=369
Mazda Rotary Engine Pickup List http://mazdarepu.com
To get off the list send an email to majordomo@mazdarepu.com